Like many other companies, we collect and store data about our users. Our goal is to provide helpful information to home owners on the ways to save energy and make their homes more comfortable. We are able to offer many of our services for free or at discounted prices because we are able to advertise or market services to you. We will attempt to use common sense in setting the practical boundaries for data sharing and marketing messages. However, in order for us to provide our services and to connect you with third parties that can perform services for you or to provide information to you, we will need to share information with third parties. Below is a summary of answers to commonly asked questions by home owners:
- This Site is primarily directed towards home owners and we ask for certain contact and other details during the sign-up process in order to be able to validate the ownership of your home.
- This site does not share the email address or phone numbers of home owners with third parties, unless you have requested such sharing (e.g. to a local contractor or energy auditing company), or unless we need to share it with select partners and companies who deliver local energy efficiency, program or other related services. This is because Sagewell does not install or service any energy efficiency or other products, or perform any work at your building and all services are provided by third-party companies. If your email or phone number details are shared with select partners, they are to use it for limited and specific purposes and to minimize unnecessary contact with you. If for any reason you feel like you have been contacted inappropriately by us or partners, please let us know and we will take action to seize such contact.
- If you request a home energy assessment, and a thermal image of your building is available, the home energy assessment company will be offered an ability to view your thermal image report to help with the energy assessment without a separate notification. If you request any building envelope product or service consultations from contractors (e.g. doors or windows), the thermal image report may be shared with the contractor to assist with the evaluation of the opportunity. You may decline the sharing of these reports at any time by sending us a note to email@example.com.
- Much of the data that is collected on this site is generally available from publicly accessible sources (e.g. tax assessor data, public land records or thermal images from roadways), or is commercially generally available (e.g. building and owner characteristics data).
- This Site provides thermal image reports upon request. Renters are not eligible to request thermal images unless we have received permission from the home owner. However, renters may be eligible for various energy efficiency program services and we encourage renters to take advantage of those programs through our Site, e.g. by requesting no-cost or low-cost in-home energy assessments.
- We take thermal image energy loss measurements from roadways and can typically only see the front and possibly the sides of your building. Consequently, we often get questions about where home owners could get additional thermal imaging services. Many, energy assessment companies use thermal imaging cameras as part of the energy audit can show you the images during an audit and we recommend such energy audits for a more detailed analysis of your home. Also, many Home Depot stores in the Northeast rent thermal cameras for under $50 and smartphone thermal camera attachments can be ordered for as low as a few hundred dollars. In addition, we can only measure energy losses from a direct line of sight, and therefore any obstructions such as trees, bushes or fences, or distances greater than 100 feet from the road can cause us to be unable to measure energy losses.
1. Information Collection
We collect the following information about you and your use of our service in order to create a better, more personalized experience for you:
- for each account you create, your name, your e-mail address, your password, mailing address,
- you may choose to create a profile and record information about you, buildings you own, lease or rent, other buildings that may be of interest to you, and that information may be viewed by Sagewell and affiliated parties,
- any forum postings, blogging, communication with any others through sagewell.com may be viewed by others using sagewell.com services; and any ranking or feedback you may submit or comment on within sagewell.com,
- building improvement data including measures implemented and their cost, and building improvement propensity estimates,
- customer satisfaction surveys, customer feedback and other customer insights,
- any available information on buildings such as public tax assessor records or private databases that contain information on buildings and the building owners.
In addition, we may automatically track certain information about users of our Site (such as internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), location, referring/exit pages, click patterns, etc.). We may use this information to do internal research on our users' usage patterns, demographics, interests and general behavior to better understand and serve you, our customers and our community. We may link these types of information with your personally identifiable information. For purposes of this Policy, "personally identifiable information" means any information that could be used to identify you personally (e.g., your e-mail address or phone number) or to identify the computer with which you access our service.
We use "cookies" to allow you to enter your password less frequently during a session and to provide for an easier registration process. A "cookie" is a piece of data stored on your computer that is tied to information about you. If you configure your browser or otherwise choose to reject the cookies, you may still use our publicly available web pages, however you may not be able to see pages that are behind a login. Therefore, to best experience our web site and most easily use our service you must have cookies enabled.
Like many web sites, we automatically gather certain information about our Site traffic and store it in log files. This information includes Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. We use this information to analyze trends, to administer the Site, to track users' movements around the Site and to gather demographic information about our user base.
We may employ and our third party advertising partners may employ a software technology called clear gifs, also referred to as web beacons or web bugs, or similar technologies that help manage content on the Site by tracking what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of internet users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user's computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We do not currently tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customers' personally identifiable information, but may do so in the future without additional notification.
We also use Google Analytics and other Google tools. Examples of such technologies may include Google Remarketing, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, the DoubleClick Campaign Manager integration, Google+ or Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. Other marketing platforms may include Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Pinterest and advertising tools from other companies to support display advertising and online marketing. The popularity of these technology platforms seems to change frequently and we anticipate changing and adding to them routinely. These third-party vendors, including Google, may show our ads on websites across the Internet and they use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on your past visits to our Site. We and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to report how ad impressions, other uses of ad services, and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to visits to the Site. We also use third-party audience data (such as age, gender, and interests) to try to offer more relevant information to you.
Other advertising technologies may be added at any time without additional notification. Google offers an advertisements settings feature (https://www.google.com/settings/ads) that allows you to change your Google advertising preferences, including opting out from various advertising programs.
Also, if you post messages in forum areas on our web site, send us personal correspondence, or if other users or third parties send us correspondence about your activities or postings on our web site, we may collect such information, and we may share it with partners, customers and affiliates.
Calls to Sagewell or calls to Sagewell marketing campaign numbers may be recorded or monitored for quality assurance and customer service purposes.
2. Use of Information
We use the information we collect about you (including your personally identifiable information) to create a better, more personalized experience for you based on your individual usage habits, improve our marketing and promotional efforts, analyze site usage, improve our content and product offerings, and customize our Site's content, layout and services. These uses improve our Site and the services we provide, and allow us to better customize it to meet your needs. We tie information about you to our imagery of buildings and the addresses of those buildings. We also use the information we collect about you to resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, and enforce our Terms of Service Agreement.
We may compile the information we collect about you and use it in the negotiation and establishment of service agreements with public and/or private enterprises under which such enterprises will serve the mission of Sagewell Inc.
We may use your information to contact you and deliver information to you that, in some cases, are targeted to your interests, such as newsletters, administrative notices, product or service offerings, and other communications relevant to your use of our service.
3. Disclosure of Your Information
We are able to provide many of our services for free or at a discounted rate as a courtesy of our corporate customers, marketing partners and other sponsors. We generally do not release your personal contact information such as email and phone numbers to third-parties unless requested by you, except in case of select organizations who may or may not contact you on our behalf or in partnership with us. Energy efficiency program partner organizations may request your permission for them to see the thermal images and we may release thermal images to these select organizations under guidelines that do not allow additional sharing of the information. If these partners are marketing any product or service to you, they are to inform you of their affiliation with us and the reason they are contacting you, and to offer an opt-out from any future communication. Examples of such partners include community energy efficiency organizations, energy efficiency programs, energy efficiency program contractors, research organizations, utilities and outsourced call centers. We may also share the data we have collected, including thermal image data, with utility companies and their contractors for the purposes of customer research and analysis and to improve the utility operations and services to customers. We will occasionally send materials to you on behalf of third parties. We may also combine other available information regarding you and your properties to improve our marketing services. We may also create mailing lists or other marketing programs, and may release your name and mailing address to third parties. You may choose to opt out from our marketing services at any time.
Commercial and industrial properties are not subject to this section and we may disclose information on those buildings to third parties.
We reserve the right to disclose your personally identifiable information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights; to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on us or the Site; or in connection with an actual or proposed corporate transaction or insolvency proceeding involving all or part of the business or asset to which the information pertains.
4. Communications from Us
You may occasionally receive the following types of communication from us in the normal course of our providing you our services:
- energy efficiency and other informational and promotional content
- service announcements; and
- customer service communications.
The primary purpose of any communication from us will be information on how to reduce the energy use in your buildings or how to make your buildings more comfortable. These may also contain paid promotional messages from Sagewell Inc. advertisers and partners on other subjects.
5. Protection of Information
We want you to feel confident about using our Site, and we are committed to protecting the information we collect. Although no website can guarantee security, we have implemented certain administrative, technical, and physical security procedures to help protect the information you provide to us. For example, only authorized personnel are permitted to access personally identifiable information, and they only may do so for permitted business reasons. In addition, we use data encryption for certain types of data exchanges and utilize firewalls to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your information.
6. Privacy for Children
This Site offers services mostly to home owners and does not offer services directed to children. Should a person whom we know to be a child under the age thirteen send personal information to us, we will delete or destroy such information as soon as reasonable.
7. External Links
8. Reviewing, Updating, Deleting and Deactivating Personal Information
After registration for our service, we provide a way to update your personally identifiable information, or to opt-out from any marketing programs. Upon your request, we will deactivate your account. You can make this request by writing to our address shown under the contact section of this document. Upon our receipt of your request, we will deactivate your account and remove you from our marketing programs as soon as reasonably possible in accordance with our deactivation policy and applicable law.
Nonetheless, we will retain in our files information you may have requested us to remove if, in our discretion, retention of the information is necessary to resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems or to enforce the Terms of Service Agreement. Furthermore, your information is never completely removed from our databases due to technical and legal constraints (for example, we will not remove your information from our back up storage).
9. Notification of Changes
10. Dispute Resolution
11. Contact Information
If users have any questions or suggestions regarding this Policy, please contact Sagewell Inc. using postal mail or e-mail, as follows:
12 Alfred Street
Woburn, MA 01801
Contact information can also be found at http://www.sagewell.com/about/contact/